Monday 13 January 2014

Fever 'Maison' Dress - Styled Vintage & Modern

I was incredibly excited to receive the 'Maison' dress in purple from London clothing brand Fever for review.  The dropped waist, pleat skirt and delicious plummy colour screamed 1920s to me, and I couldn't wait to style it.  Pop over to their website to have a look at the full range of gorgeous items they have on offer, many currently on sale.

From the vintage themed 'Heritage' collection, the 'Maison' dress is made from a lovely, swingy weight crepe fabric and is lined.  The back has a half zip, and is exposed, (which isn't to my taste generally, but it's not too bad on this garment).  The length is just 1920's perfect on me, sitting on the knee, and it's a lovely loose fit.  A dropped waist is notoriously difficult for all but the willowiest of figures to carry off, and I was keen to see how the dress looked on a modern, hourglass figure.

For the outdoors photos, I've had to wait for a sunny day to get some decent lighting and do this lovely dress justice, and we were lucky enough this last weekend to be blessed with a day of blue skies and sunshine from dawn to dusk.  I've showed the dress styled in three ways.  First, a 1920's evening look.  Second, a 1920's day look.  And finally, a modern day look.  I've not tried to be historically accurate in creating the 1920's looks, so other items of clothing are from various eras and are just intended to help create a style.

So, here are the results - one dress, three ways!  I hope you enjoy the photos.

Look One: 1920's Evening

1920s Gatsby style dress


 
 1920s hair and makeup
 
 
 
Photos by me! (I borrowed a tripod...)
Shoes, Matalan.  Tights, Jonathan Aston.  Pearls and diamante hair clip, New Look.

Look Two: 1920's Day

1920s day look
 
 
 
 
 
Photos kindly by the other half.
Shoes, Primark.  Hat, TK Maxx.  Gloves, vintage (1950s).  Coat, South.

Look Three: Modern Daytime

Fever Maison dress review
 
 
 
 
Photos again by the other half.
Leather jacket, Mexx.  Boots, Cara.  Sunglasses, Dorothy Perkins.  Hairband, Accessorize.

Overall, the dress is good quality, versatile, and at the sale price it's a steal.  A massive thank you to Fever clothing for sending me this gorgeous dress!  It's a winner.  What do you all think?  Would you wear a drop-waist dress?  And which is your favourite styling?  I like the 1920's day look best myself.

The 'Maison' dress is currently in Fever's sale, priced at £25.99 reduced from £64.99.  I was sent the dress for review, but as always, my opinions are my own!


20 comments:

  1. WOW - it looks amazing in each of the three ways you've styled it - what a fab dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 1920s daytime look too ♡ Fifth photo down in that group is just fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning dress - I love how you've styled it too. I'd never have thought it could have worked in daytime with ankle boots but you totally rocked it and that's my favourite look. I'm off to check out the Fever site now! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was my first go at styling something like that. I have started wearing some 'evening' dresses in the daytime, I think it's my new thing! Hope you managed to find something pretty to buy on the Fever site x

      Delete
  4. Very, very pretty styles! Evening gets my top vote, but they're all terrific! Drop waists don't generally do my hourglass figure a lot favours, but few dresses are cut exactly the same and you never know when a drop waist winner might strike, so I'd be game to give a style like this a try (I would, ideally, want it to come past my knees though).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - I too was really wary of drop waists, as I'm an hourglass, but it really grew on me, and the other half loved it too, so it passed the test! The only drop-waists I would be wary of would be the '80's ones, as some of them are so oversized elsewhere that they just end up looking like maternity wear. Do post a pic if you try a drop waist!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Wow! You look amazing! Love thus dress on you and my favourite is the last style but I do love the vintage looks too. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you lovely! The last style was super comfy x

      Delete
  6. One word - gorgeous!!!! Vikki x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I understand why you're in love with that dress, absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosy - have you ever made a drop waist dress?? x

      Delete
  8. Hello,Ciao Porcelina...Great Post...they say that Fashion is Art and so You're an Artist of Style...every photo is as beautiful as a painting and Your charming look make Your Beauty shining more than the Sun light...so lovely Style!
    ciao from Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Aure! Thank you for stopping by and for your extremely kind comments xx

      Delete
  9. Nice styling!

    I love Fever's clothes and did consider buying that dress, but the exposed zip put me right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, bloomin' exposed zips, I'm not a fan at all! But I sucked it up on this occasion and was glad I did. Fortunately the zip is at the back so I don't have to look at it when wearing the dress!!

      Glad you liked the styling xx

      Delete
  10. wow one dress and 3 amazing stylings, i have to say i love all 3 variations but my favorite ist the 1920´s evening look!
    stunning!
    kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It was a lot of fun to do. Gosh, I've just looked at your blog, wonderful stuff, where have you been hiding?! P x

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...