Friday 14 February 2014

Do You Wear It? Is It Worth It?

No love themed post from me today, let's talk about buying too many clothes instead.  In February's Vogue there was an article detailing this season's purchases by five affluent ladies along with a tally of how many times they've actually worn them.  Their lists are a bit ridiculous in terms of the number of high end purchases (who needs TWO Hermès bags?!), but I thought the principle was interesting.

I feel like I bought an awful lot of clothes in January and I now feel the need to justify my purchases in terms of cost per wear.  Below is my list of what I bought in January, and how many times I've worn each item so far.  I'll report back in a month or so with updated figures!  Obviously there are things like a killer party dress that recoup their value in a single fabulous night sometimes, but is there anything that won't get worn even once?  And what will turn out to be the indispensible wardrobe heroine?

My January Purchases

If you want to play along then make a quick list of what you've recently bought and keep track of it during the coming weeks.  I am using my phone to take notes everyday.

My January Purchases, and Number of Times Worn:
Asda black long sleeve tee - 2
Asda purple long sleeve tee - 1
Clarks grey brogues - 0
Clarks black heeled brogues - 3
Asda thermal socks (3 pairs) - 16
Charity shop gold scarf - 4
Charity shop vintage black coat - 7
Charity shop Next red polkadot dress - 0
Charity shop men's grey wool jumper - 4
Matalan rose print underwear set - 1
Matalan monochrome underwear set - 1
Matalan white bra - 2
Matalan stripe bra - 4
Woolovers cerise jumper off Ebay - 1
Woolovers pink wrap jumper off Ebay - 0
Woolovers blue wrap jumper off Ebay - 0
Alice Hannah gloves - 1
Promod mini skirt - 1
Promod flapper dress - 0
Promod red blouse - 0
Promod white blouse - 0
Promod ivory blouse - 0
Kimono jacket off Ebay - 0

 
If you're very observant you'll notice that one item I listed is missing from this photo - how can I have lost it already?!

Let me know if you want to take part and we can arrange a link up of our findings!  I'm also linking up with #PassionforFashion again today - see hostesses Rachel The Hat and Lena B for more details.

What have you noticed already are the heroines and damp squibs of your recent purchases?  Do you have purchases hanging unworn, still with the tags on?

22 comments:

  1. WOW that's a good haul for January! I bought nothing :-)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are positively saintly!! I had been very good before Christmas and think the urge to shop just built up until it exploded out!! P x

      Delete
  2. I actually bought nothing in January like the other commenter. I don't like wearing winter clothes that much so I'm not very tempted to shop this time of year. I definitely tend to think about cost per wear when I'm buying clothes--and with that, I tend to think that my shoes are the best investment in all of my clothes because they definitely get the most uses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I am impressed at your restraint! You have a good point about shoes having a good cost per wear figure - I'll bear that in mind! Thanks for stopping by. P x

      Delete
  3. I'm up for this. I've started doing something similar anyhow as I want to get more wear out of my vintage stuff. I've only bought a few pieces of late, but my vintage is the stuff that doesn't get out as much as it should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! I agree, I have a stash of vintage I don't wear much. Time for a cull methinks...! P x

      Delete
  4. So much stuff! I didn't buy anything in January apart from the Clarks animal print shoes - 2 wears so far. This month I've got 2 skirts, 2 tops, 1 scarf and a bag so far, as well as a few items for review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel a bit of guilt looking at the picture!! Can't wait to see all your reviews P x

      Delete
  5. This is an interesting post! I often do the same thing... buy things and not wear it... but my justification is that even though I haven't worn them yet doesn't mean I won't wear them later. Just recently I wore a dress for the first time I bought last year. I find that I might buy a dress then take several months even over a year to wear it but in my mind it's better it sitting in the closet waiting to be worn than not bought and lost forever :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one ;) Thanks for stopping by - glad to have found your blog too, you have some amazing dresses!!

      Delete
  6. I managed to keep away from the shops during January and was trying to during February. However, having never heard of Promod I checked out their website today after reading your Blog and have ordered a dress and top. They have free delivery for Valentine's Day. I hope that they are as lovely in real life as they look on their website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for any purchases incurred as a result of reading my blog!!! P x

      Delete
  7. I bought very little last month and doubt that will change for quite some time. Just no room in the budget for it at the moment (and the fact that tax season is almost upon us again, which is always a giant bill, isn't helping there either). I'm having fun creating new looks and rewearing tried and true favourites these days instead, or else I'd happily join you in this undertaking. It's really interesting - and now I'm curious to know what the indispensable wardrobe heroine (fabulous term, BTW) will be.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's always masses of scope to create fab new looks using old, old stuff! Let's see how we get on, but I hear you on the budget front. It's quite exciting really, this in depth wardrobe analysis! Px

      Delete
  8. That kimono-style-jacket is so beautiful!!! I've bought three white stuff dresses and only worn one, as the other two are still too thin even with tights against this weather!! I have tried not buying clothes off ebay as much this year, i've been quite lucky with past purchases but its amazing how they add up despite seeming 'thifty' individually!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard buying stuff out of season isn't it? I know what you mean. I have a faux fur cape I bought in the sale one summer, it's still got the tags on for heavens sake, I keep forgetting it's there! And also, you're quite right that thrifty purchases don't necessarily work out as a great cost per wear. P x

      Delete
  9. Last month I was pretty good. It's this month that I'm being seduced by the amazing sales. I think I have now bought 6 pairs of boots. I keep trying to justify it by telling myself that we literally wear boots for 7 months of the year here, but I'm worried I may have gone overboard. Also since we are having the winter from hell I felt justified in my purchases for some weird reason.

    I will be so interested to hear how this goes. I should do the same. It might scare me to see all of my purchases together. Probably a good thing though.

    I am lusting over both pairs of Clarks and that kimono style jacket! I can't wait to see that in an outfit.

    Also I think you are generous including lingerie here. I don't count that as clothes ; )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing at both your and Dressupnotdown's comment that lingerie doesn't count!! "It's a basic human right", isn't that a quote from Sex and the City about shoes?!

      Boots are always such a good buy if you wear them for so much of the year (I literally wear boots for 11 months here in Wales!), I don't think you need to worry.

      Thanks for stopping by! P x

      Delete
  10. The Kimono jacket caught my eye immediately, I would be wearing it the moment it arrived in the mail. :o) Oh, and like Suzanne, I don't count lingerie as clothes...they're necessities. :o)

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the jacket, but what do I wear it with?! That's the issue. I could see someone young and trendy pulling it off with skinny jeans and heels, but I don't really go for that look. Maybe I could do a 1920s look with wide legged trousers, or wear it over a '60s style shift. Hmm, watch this space! P x

      Delete
  11. What a gorgeous bunch of goodies, I am absolutely drooling over that kimono jacket!

    I hear you on buying and not wearing, I have things hanging around the closet (mostly cocktail dresses) that have never been worn in the years that I've owned them, but I swear, I WILL wear them!!!

    In the last month, I've bought myself a silk scarf, which I've worn once so far, and that's it. I would like to shop more but I feel guilty spending the money, especially when my closet is so full. A few new pieces for spring would be nice, but I think a massive closet clean out is in order first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I think everyone's thinking along the same lines of a closet clean out, aren't they? Good luck with yours - and with wearing the cocktail dresses. Maybe wear them around the house a few times to justify them?!

      P x

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...