Wednesday 19 February 2014

Make Up Review: Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pots

I have been a bit slow on the uptake, but I've finally discovered Mac's Pro Longwear Paint Pots, and I'm a huge fan!

I suffer from greasy eyelids, which means that eyeshadow eternally slides off, so I went to Mac in search of some sort of primer to stop this happening.  Paint pots were one of a number of products recommended to me, among concealers and suchlike, but this product immediately jumped out at me as something really useful, if it worked..

Mac pro longwear paint pot review



I bought 'Painterly', a nude beige, as this matched my skin tone the most accurately, and it's therefore a very neutral colour on me to use as a base under whatever colour eyeshadow I choose.



Who are Paint Pots for?
Anyone who wants longwearing eye colour.

What is the range like?
The paint pots come in a number of neutral shades that could be used on their own or under eyeshadow, including 'Painterly', 'Soft Ochre', and 'Camel Coat'.  Then there is a wide range of colours if you wanted to use them as an eye shadow themselves, and some of these come in a satin, frost or pearl rather than a cream finish.  There are pinks, purples, greens, blues, browns - quite a selection.

How much is it?
£15 each in the UK.

Did it work?
Yes!  It's funny because I was hoping, but not convinced, that it would work.  The product is easy to apply (I just used fingers) and you need only a small amount, working fairly quickly as it dries with speed.  I've tried it on its own, and also as a base to put eyeshadow or eyeliner over the top.  First of all I tested a matt grey eyeshadow, and it did massively improve the longevity.  The same with a gel eyeliner (mine is from Bobbi Brown and is pretty fabulous on its own).  The final test I gave it was to use a ridiculous full-on glitter eyeshadow over the top of it, because these are the kind of eyeshadows that usually end up on my cheeks within an hour of application.  I was absolutely amazed, but this is a product that worked for me.

Will it work for me too?
I've been reading lots of others' reviews on various websites and some people are saying that this still isn't heavy duty enough to combat their greasy eyelids.  As it's a pricey product, I'd recommend if you have a Mac counter anywhere near you, that you pop in and ask to try it out - have it put on in the morning, and then see how it looks by the end of the day.  You can judge a bit better then how this product will suit you.  (I always try out new lipsticks this way these days, because some look fabulous for the first hour or so but by the end of the day they've feathered or done something else unsuitable.)

Overall, this is a quality product that does what it says it does, and although pricey, because you use such a small amount each time, it actually works out quite economically.

My verdict: Absolutely genius!

Do let me know if you've tried this product - did it work for you?  What else do you use to prime your eyelids?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this - I always used to powder my eyelids (talc or face-powder, applied carefully so as not to get it in my eyes) before applying eyeshadow, which seemed to stop it creasing in the socket (my main problem). These days I wear eyeshadow less, but this looks good. But where did you find it for £15? It's much more than that in my usual online store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helena, thanks for stopping by! It's £15 from Mac stores and the Maccosmetics.co.uk website - perhaps you're based outside the UK?? Hope you can track it down anyway! P x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the website address! Their stuff looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! I have problems with creasing sometimes and I bet this would work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds like a great product to try! I especially have the same problem with glitter eye shadows! Also, that's a great idea to stop by the MAC counter and try it out before buying it. I've never thought of doing that but it's genius! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My skin is on the opposite side of the spectrum, dry as a bone usually, do I haven't tried any eyelid primers yet *my shadow always stays put for hours on its own), but I have been using a make-up primer on my face for those days when I want my foundation and powder to be in its very best shape and can't sing their praises highly enough either (a Canadian brand called Quo is one of my faves there).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...