Saturday 12 April 2014

Vintage Inspired Bargains: Peacock's

I'm back with more vintage inspired bargains from British shops - this time it's Peacocks' turn!

Poor Peacocks, I really loved the direction they were heading in, with lots of vintage style inspiration since they took Pearl Lowe on board as a designer, but then the company went bust and after a tricky period they were bought out by the Edinburgh Woollen Mill.

I wasn't sure if the EWM would try and take Peacocks in a new direction completely, but I popped to a local store recently and was pleasantly surprised - absolutely oodles of vintage style clothes, all at a snip.

I was also super impressed to see many of their garments now proudly showing a 'Made in Britain' tag.  Good for them.

Here again is my experience in the fitting rooms - some of it turned out surprisingly well, others were a poor fit.  Read on to find out which were the winners!



First up was a peachy pink broderie anglaise top, £12, that tied at the front, very cute and quite '50s.  I tried it on with a spot midi pencil skirt, £14, which surprisingly wasn't too bad a fit, but quite a thin fabric so it accentuated my bumps a bit and made it blatant I had the wrong knickers on!  I might have to go back and buy that broderie top, they had it in other colours.

The pale blue capri pants, £12, looked marvellous on the hanger, less so on me.  Again it's that old issue of me being tall, and having a higher hip to waist ratio that the modern figure, which means that trousers don't come up high enough on me, giving me a lovely bit of muffin top, and often I can't zip them up.  I actually think it's my derriere, not my hips, but that's a whole other story.

This fluted hem pencil skirt was awful (not on their website yet, sorry no link) - again the issue of it being a thin fabric, not lined, means all the wrong bits were accentuated and again you can see my VPL.

This was more like it -  Peacocks have a fab range of 1940's inspired tea dresses, £16, in at the moment, in various colours and patterns.  All delightful, but this colour was my fave.  I didn't buy it as I thought the butterflies were slightly juvenile, but if it goes into the sale later on I may swoop.  My last tea dress from Peacocks has lasted years and has taken me from work, to afternoon tea, or to parties.

Peacocks has loads of monochrome, 1960s style garments on offer, so I tried on this little shift (also not yet on their website, check in store).  I think it looks a bit 'maternity' on me, so that one didn't make it home with me either.

Ah ha!  A midi skirt, a proper, below my knees, flowing fabric midi skirt!  I had to have this, it was only £18, which is half the price of the H&M one I'd been eyeing up.  And the top, with its flower embellishment, was just too sweet to leave behind, so I bought that too (£16, check in store as not on website yet).  The sizing is a bit variable between garments - I ended up buying the blouse in a size 12 and the skirt in a size 8.  Odd.

A lace white pencil skirt, £18, that if I didn't have the wrong knickers on, might have been a possibility.  But me, in a white skirt, probably a disaster waiting to happen.  I found this skirt a far superior fit to the New Look lace pencil skirts I tried on recently, that gaped at the waist and were too snug on the hips and rear.

When I got home I tried on the midi skirt and that cute flower top again, and feel that I made a good purchase decision here.  It's still below my knees even when I'm in heels, hurrah!  I can wear the skirt to work, so that guarantees it will get worn.  Excuse the mess, I spent all my time shopping that day, not cleaning the house!

So, does any of this tempt you?  Do you like Peacocks?  What have you bought from there already?

Linkups:
Rachel The Hat and Lena B, #PassionforFashion

20 comments:

  1. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know Peacocks was still trading! The one in our local mall closed when they went into administration, and I didn't know they'd been bought over... Will definitely go and check out the website now, though, because I like loads of the stuff you tried, especially the broderie top... And a black midi skirt is always a good buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's loads of stuff in there that you might like, from what I've seen of your style - worth a gander! P x

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you have a shop with vintage appropriate pieces like that in your area - I think many of us old school loving ladies would love to have a Peacocks set up shop near us, too. I really like the midi skirt you brought home as well as the broderie anglaise top (that is such a good price, IMO, for it!). I love it peachy-pink, but am curious since you mentioned as much, what are some of the other colours it came in, too? Which was your fave?

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, the top came in the pink, a crisp white, and a pretty lilac. I think the latter might have to come home with me! x

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of Peacocks to be honest but it looks like I would like their selection.

    I loved that butterfly patterned tea dress on you. You did make a great choice on the midi skirt and blouse. Very classic.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I still haven't worn the skirt and blouse, maybe I will to work tomorrow! I also thought I could be very non-vintage and wear the skirt with a tee 'off duty' as it were. I have a fab Cyd Charisse one X

      Delete
  4. I thought peacocks had shut down but ours is still open, I walked past it today! It's not somewhere I ever go into, assuming it was for teenagers but what do I know?! The red tea dress looks really cute on you, lovely shape. Definitely picked a winner in that black midi skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to start popping in now! Their prices are similar to supermarkets, honestly worth a look every now and again, and I'm so pleased about the 'made in Britain' thing they've started doing. P x

      Delete
  5. Ahh, Peacocks I shopped there a LOT back in the day and have many Pearl Lowe dresses! The one in my town is still open and I pop in when I pass though I haven't bought anything for a while. Their trousers are always a terrible fit but the dresses are usually spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky thing to have some Pearl Lowe dresses, they always sold out before I could nab one! x

      Delete
  6. Love these posts on your shopping excursions! I totally agree 100% with your findings. I hope you will go back for the broderie anglaise top. I liked the 1940's tea dress but see what you mean about it perhaps being too juvenile. Too bad it didn't come in other patterns. Love the skirt and the top that you did get. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea dress does come in florals too but I only like my florals bright and tropical! Now if it had palm leaves on and perhaps flamingos I would have snapped it up! I think I will get the top, in lilac, I have been thinking about it!! X

      Delete
  7. It really is touch & go in there sometimes but I have some lovely pieces from there over the years! I really like the shift dress & it doesn't look maternity at all! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it looks better in the photo than it did in the flesh! Changing room lighting never helps eh? I do already have a few shifts so couldn't justify it x

      Delete
  8. The black midi skirt looks gorgeous- a very classic piece that will go a long way. I actually also liked the shift dress... I love dresses like that for weekends when jeans are too hot and I'm not in the mood for shorts. Enjoy your new purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shift looks ok in retrospect. 'When jeans are too hot' is about one or two weeks a year in Wales!! X

      Delete
  9. The red tea dress looks so beautiful on you! I had forgotten about Peacocks but will pop in, good that they are doing the made in Britain thing
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the fit and colour, just not the butterflies. Maybe I could learn to love them?! X

      Delete
  10. I love reading this post, Peacocks is a shop I haven't ventured in for so long. The midi skirt is a beauty! I'm on the hunt for one just like this, all flowy and lovely. Sadly, I think this wouldn't fit my short ass legs. The polka dot tube skirt is a beauty on you, didn't you get it? Thanks for this, I will be definitely be planning a visit sometime soon! Popping by from the Passion for Fashion link up!
    Donna xx
    www.polkadot-pink.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you bought, and also that red butterfly tea dress. You should go back and buy it, it looks amazing on you!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...