Thursday 7 August 2014

An Outfit for the Zoo!

The other weekend it was a warm day for a walk around Dudley Zoo!  I wore sensible trainers, had to cover my shoulders for sun protection, but wanted to be cool and comfortable, so I went for this little outfit.

An Outfit for the Zoo

An Outfit for the Zoo

An Outfit for the Zoo

Trainers: Reebok
Shorts: Matalan
Shirt: Soul Cal
Hairband: Ebay
Bag: M&S Vintage, car boot sale
Cardigan: Primark
Sunglasses: Vintage Polaroid, gift


Do you think I out-pinked the flamingos?!

An Outfit for the Zoo

Finally, I have to mention that Dudley Zoo contains a selection of Art Deco buildings!!  I was as surprised as you are - who'd have thought that Dudley Zoo of all places would have a bit of Art Deco?!  The majority of them are very run down and in need of repair, which is such a shame, though I had fun fantasising what they must have looked like when they were new, and imagined couples in smart 1930's wear standing outside them.

An Outfit for the Zoo

Even the entrance to the zoo, with it's waved canopy, is 1930's!!  I'm not sure if they have replaced it with a modern version or just restored it, but there's a very clear old photograph displayed in the zoo that shows the waved canopy in place back in the 1930s.  There's a news article here about the restoration battle the zoo faces and the buildings' historical importance.

Next to the zoo is another Art Deco building that we suspect might have been a cinema, and as I mentioned in a previous post, Priory Park a short distance away is surrounded by 1930's buildings and housing, so if you're interested in that period of architecture then Dudley is a surprisingly good place for a visit!

Have you been to Dudley Zoo?  Do you know of any other surprising places to spot nice architecture?

 Linkups:

23 comments:

  1. I live down the road from Dudley Zoo but I haven't been there for years! Did you explore the charity shops? There's loads.
    Yes, you definitely out pink the flamingos, in a fabulous way.
    The best place for Art Deco is Mumbai. Marine Drive is incredible. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, I never even considered Mumbai for art deco! And so begins a new travel obsession.... I didn't realise you lived in Dudley! Small world x

      Delete
  2. Ooo, cute outfit! I love the pink top and the shorts+hair tie combination. It's a very cute and sensible zoo trek outfit. ♡

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonita, I'm glad I wore the trainers with the amount of leg-work we had to do!! P x

      Delete
  3. Hehehe, lemurs!

    Pete got me a voucher to go and feed animals at Dudley zoo, but then we never had enough holiday time to use it as it was the same year we went to Burma :-( So the voucher was wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute outfit! I love all the prints; they mix so well. Also, you definitely out-pinked the flamingos!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute ensemble!!! I don't usually swoon over sneakers/trainers (or as we call them here in Canada, "runners"), but those pink beauties are seriously calling my name. I need a new pair myself and wonder if there's any chance I could track them down here or online, too? I shall be investigating at once! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you can get hold of them! I love them, and have worn them lots and lots. I don't normally like wearing trainers with an outfit apart from for exercise, but I've found that with the amount of walking I do that they're sometimes the only option. x

      Delete
  6. So cute! I love your pattern mixing here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I'm not one for pattern mixing normally, but have this one combo that works for me. x

      Delete
  7. Darling outfit! And that building is nifty!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're going to wear trainers, why not make them pink ones and match them to your outfit and the wildlife, that's what I say!

    Glad to see a post from you - was worried you'd have enough of it all recently! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm still here, it was just a bit manic at work and then I escaped to Cornwall for a week! I hope to be back up to full speed ahead in the blogosphere soon! x

      Delete
  9. You look so cute! For a casual outfit you really hit it out of the park. I love that crop top and how it matches your shoes. Absolutely adorable :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. adorable! and it is so nice that the flamingos match your outfit!
    Marie @ In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to visit this zoo - and that pic of you with the . . . what is that cute little creature? made me smile. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so fun, cant remember when I was at the zoo last. Love the flamingos. Your printed shorts and pink top are such a great collaboration, and love the hair tie.
    from the link up,

    please stop by, jess

    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you've tied your blouse at the front, lovely ditsy print in a fab colour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG what a cute outfit! I love the pattern-mixing. Your shorts and headband are adorable as are the flamingos! Enjoy the weekend babe! <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the black & pink and pattern mix! Such a cute outfit!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...