Tuesday 14 October 2014

Collectif 'Simone' Houndstooth Dress & 1950's Veiled Hat

There's something Autumnal about this flared 'Simone' dress by Collectif.  The brown houndstooth fabric is reminiscent of that seasonal staple, tweed, and the longer length is welcome as the air gets chillier.

Brown bow hat
Brown bow hat

The gorgeous chocolate brown bow hat is surely the perfect pairing?  It's by Edward Mann, and I picked it up years ago in a charity shop for under a fiver.  It's stayed in a box since then, as it's one of those hats that is quite attention-grabbing.  I took the plunge and wore it to a vintage fair, and emboldened by the warm reception, actually wore it to pop into Asda on the way home.  I can't say it was met there with anything other than confusion.

Brown bow hat

Brown bow hat

Brown bow hat
Dress: Collectif
Hat: Vintage, via charity shop
Heeled brogues: J Shoes
Lipstick: 'Rosewine' by Revlon
Photographs: My mother (thank you!)

Thanks to a bit of searching, I also found out that Edward Mann made the hats for Diana Rigg when she played Emma Peel in The Avengers!  When I used to wear my hair differently I was told I looked like Diana Rigg, lovely compliment.

Brown bow hat

Brown bow hat

Had you heard of Edward Mann?  And are you a lookalike for any vintage celebrities?


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, obviously Asda wasn't the place for appreciation... X

      Delete
  2. Fab outfit from head to toe! I've got a few Edward Mann hats in stock but I didn't know about the Diana Rigg connection. I'll have to tell my customers next time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely tell them, I love nuggets of info like that when buying vintage! X

      Delete
  3. I had to look her up but I see the resemblance with Diana Rigg! This dress looks great on you and I love the hat, regardless of what the Asda punters thought! I feel like every time I wear a hat, which is usually only going to be a simple beret, people look at me like I've got a frog on my head. It's just not that common in this country to wear a nice hat that isn't a sloppy beanie, while you're a student. I wish they'd have a revival! CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's lead the hat revival - even if we inspire just one more person to wear a hat, the knock on effect could be huge! I love the description of the frog on head, perfect! X

      Delete
    2. I may have to start calling people who annoy me Asda punters. They will likely be very confused.

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic outfit, and the hat makes it extra special! What do Asda shoppers know about style? Not as much as vintage fair-goers, obviously! You do look like Diana Rigg, and how interesting to know that about the milliner who made your hat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to be fair in my local Asda they shift a hell of a lot of onesies - not my audience!! X

      Delete
  5. I love this outfit! I have that dress in the grey colorway but I love the brown! It looks gorgeous on you and that hat paired with it is so cute!!!! Such a great outfit! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how nice that we're dress twins! Hope to see a pic of you in yours at some point x

      Delete
  6. That is a seriously cute outfit. I haven't heard of the hat maker, but it looks really lovely! Don't worry, I get weird looks for wearing hats all the time too. You get used to it.
    I didn't know Diana Rigg played Emma Peel. I know her from Game of Thrones, so it's kind of weird thinking of her as a hot young thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute outfit, the hat looks pretty and the dress is gorgeous. Sadly it's not for sale anymore at Collectif unless they make it return for winter :) (I wish they did, I'd love that dress as a pencil skirt version).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a fab outfit. I like the hat, it's a good find. (You seem to find the best things!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...