Wednesday 7 January 2015

Make January Cheerful

My social media feeds have been full of people bemoaning the month of January, with some going as far as to say that they "hate" January.  I'll admit that it can be hard to adjust to getting up early for work again, eating normal portions, and not opening the booze before midday, but I'm determined to make January cheerful!  Here's how I'm going to do it:

Cheerful January

Use Up The Christmas Stuff
I know that I need to get back to a normal eating routine, but I hate waste, so I am determined to finish up all the Christmassy food first!  The other night we'd run out of yoghurt to go with our fruit, so we used up an unopened tub of brandy cream, and I am currently enjoying the last few bags of a nice festive tea blend from Whittards.  I'm drawing the line at using up the spare Christmas pudding, because it's 'use by' date isn't until April or something, so I might rename it '"Easter pudding" and have it then!  I think it must be depressing for people who start dieting on January 1st, after a month of eating chocolate for breakfast, to suddenly be living off cup-a-soups.  I think a gradual decrease is a happier compromise.



Cheerful January

Enjoy Your Christmas Presents
The fancy soap?  Use it!  The posh tea?  Put the kettle on!  If you're back to work and have a commute by train or bus, then it's time to get started on all of those wonderful books received as Christmas gifts.  The evenings are dark and cold, but that's the perfect excuse to cosy up and watch those DVD box sets!  Here at our house in darkest Wales, the chilly weather is a reason to enjoy our biggest present to ourselves, which was a woodburning stove.  I need to get an axe now.

Cheerful January

Make Your Own Get Togethers
Looking at the calendar, January's pretty empty for events and special days and general reasons for social get togethers.  (The exception is Burns Night, on the 25th January, if you fancy breaking your 'dry January' resolution for a wee dram of whisky and a bit of haggis.)  But there are ample opportunities to stamp your own events on the calendar.  January's the perfect time to catch up with people that you may have missed before Christmas, maybe because everyone was just too busy, or if there were some colds going around.  I've got a lunch date lined up this coming weekend with a few friends that were too busy to meet pre-Christmas, and it will be so much more relaxed than trying to squeeze in a visit between Christmas parties and shopping and all the rest of it!

Planning
I love planning and organising things.  This year, a big part of planning for me is about spending my money on more activities and experiences than possessions.  There's the small detail of a wedding to put together later in the year, but I also want to factor in more time travelling and seeing friends.  There's a lot to look forward to!  It helps to also plan all the activities that are more like work than fun, (like DIY) so that you can see accurately how much free time you'll have.  If you can do all of this planning on really pretty stationery, it will bring extra cheer, and having something to look forward to is really important for morale.

Cheerful January

Set yourself some challenges
The point about these is apparently that you might not enjoy them while you're doing them, but you will feel amazing once you've completed them!  This is the area where I'm probably under-achieving.  I see people making goals of "run 5 miles every day" and "learn Swedish", but I don't have the inclination for that kind of commitment.  I need something a bit less sweaty and definitely less intellectual (I'm starting a PhD this year, I think my brain will have enough to cope with!).  I've come across a challenge to stop buying clothes.  For 100 days.  * Gulp*  The #100daysnospend challenge has been set by fellow Welsh blogger Rachel over at her style blog, Rachel the Hat.  When I first read the article, my first thought was how hard that would be for me to do.  Whilst I don't spend vast amounts of time and money on shopping for clothes, I do swing by the charity shops at least once a week, where you can easily lose half a day, and I am guilty of a spot of internet shopping on occasion.  I told my husband-to-be about the challenge the other night and his response was to laugh, and to say that he didn't think I could do it (this from the man who has bought more shoes than me in the last year...).  If there's one thing that gives me motivation, it's someone telling me I can't do something.  My genetically received stubborn-streak kicks in, and I move hell and high-water to prove them wrong.  So, here we go, count me in!!  Now, you may well be thinking "how on Earth is not shopping going to make you cheerful, surely it will make you depressed?!".  Well, I am hoping the feeling of self-satisfaction and knowledge that I am saving money (for travel, see 'Planning' above) will provide all the cheer I need, as well as being a good tactic to stop the ever-increasing mound of clutter.  Things being tidy really does make me cheerful.  A final note: as I am getting married this year, I am allowed to buy bridal items as the one exception!)

LOGO

Is your January a cheerful one?  How do you combat the post-Christmas blues?  And do you think you could easily do 100 days of not shopping?



15 comments:

  1. I'm not January's biggest fan it's long and grey and cold and I'm poor. Having said that I could not not shop! that's one pleasure I'd rather not do without ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to find my pleasures elsewhere! I'm actually thinking of joining the new WI...

      Delete
  2. Oooh, a PhD! What subject? Are you doing it at Cardiff or Camarthen?

    I probably could go 100 days without buying anything, but as I have accepted I look like crud at weekends, 100 more days of looking like crud isn't part of my 2015 plan! As you do not, however, dress like crud, you may well be able to achieve this.

    January is generally a cheerful month for me because December is deadline hell at work. By contrast January is relaxing! Though getting up in the morning is proving difficult...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be here at Cardiff, as part of my job as I'm already doing the work! It will be registered with the School of Medicine, but it's more of a psychology crossover as it's about the mental health of doctors. It's causing confusion already, medics and psychologists are poles apart a lot of the time on this issue!!

      Yes these mornings are hard, but I am lucky and don't get up too early, 6:45 generally speaking isn't as bad as for a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. Great tips and you're right to ease off gradually. Me? I've gone full pelt and am as miserable as everyone else. Roll on spring x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished up the last of the brandy cream for breakfast, tee hee!!

      Delete
  4. Another tip? Unfollow the moaning miseries on social media. Life's too precious to waste time with negative people. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it was that easy - half of them are my family!! I've managed to 'hide' the main offenders but there are still a few whose general views and outlook on life are quite tolerable the rest of the year so I am loathe to ban them altogether.

      Delete
  5. I did the 100 day shopping ban last year and it felt incredible. Ugh. THis year I really need to shop the sales....I wonder if I can join in later...like in two weeks!!

    I love all of your very positive and practical suggestions for making the best month ever now I'm off to find me some liquor based cream!

    Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A 100 day shopping ban could make me suicidal... but then, that's because I am going the other way to you and this year not planning to travel as much as last because I'm paying £200+ a month on my Invisalign treatment loan. A cute top here or there might make all the difference in terms of having things to look forward to!! You're definitely still allowed to buy wedding things and I expect to see them all here! And I think you and I have the challenges thing nailed with next month's activity ;) Which I am still excited about - as is everyone else I tell! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. January has been sunny so far for us so lots of walks / bike rides bundled up in hats, scarves and gloves.
    I don't hate it really, it's a fresh start. Plus all my spring bulbs are starting to poke through - the promise of things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of those people who could whine endlessly about how terrible January is, but I live in Chicago and it's -6 degrees (-21 in your terms), so I think I've probably earned the right. :P
    But you've got some great points! I actually kind of like the post holiday lull - I work out, I stop drinking, I don't have to worry so much about money because I'm not trying to buy presents. It does get a little bleak, but I set myself a little baby challenge to wear lipstick every day this month, just to make up for not getting any sunshine or time outdoors.
    Good luck with your 100 days challenge! I honestly don't think I would make it, but I'm the kind of person that needs to be a little fixated on something and clothes are kind of it right now. I think your bridal exception is a good one, though, and I know I (like everyone else) can't wait to see what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get a burst of the blues when it's time to get back to the usual routine, but once I've done it, I'm usually quite glad really! I think you're right, as long as you have some nice stuff scheduled in, and some things to look forward to, January soon passes and we head towards Spring. Good luck with your PhD, and the wedding planning, and the 100 days of non-shopping! I set myself the challenge, a few years back now and it was the thing which partly inspired my blog, of only shopping secondhand for myself for a year. I did it, and it became a way of life! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. 100 days of not shopping would prove impossible for me, because I have literally no other ways to spend my time than browse webshops and occasionally go out to town to see if I find something (hopefully cheap stuff). I'm very picky about what I buy, but if I find something I like, I WILL buy it regardless if I really need it or not. Not a good way to pass time as an employed person :D But I have little to no hobbies either and very few friends so in order not go all hermit, I go out shopping where I can interact at least with shop clerks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post, thank you so much for sharing. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...