Tuesday 3 March 2015

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review

I'm a carnivore that loves a nice steak.  I love art too.  What better way to combine the two than to visit Steak of the Art, a new restaurant in Cardiff that's opened up on Churchill Way?

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review


Steak of the Art is a Bristol based company, and they've been doing the food festival circuit as well as running their Bristol restaurant, and I was pleased that they've opened a Cardiff branch.  The interior impressed me, with its '60s style booths stacked on top of each other, a giant dalek, and a sporting-themed booth.  We sat under some light-up horses' legs.

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review

I had the rump steak (£14) with salad.  My companion also had the rump steak, but served with sweet potato fries (£1 extra) and a helping of pulled pork (£2).  As you would expect, the steak was cooked perfectly.  The secret to cooking such perfect steaks is that they boil them in vac-packs before searing them in the pan to finish.  My salad of rocket, shaved parmesan and cherry tomatoes was very nice, but although my companion like the sweet potato fries, she found the pulled pork to be over-seasoned, commenting "all I can taste is salt", and it was a very small helping.

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review

For dessert, I just had a coffee, and my companion had a chocolate mousse (£5) which she enjoyed very much.  Alongside the dessert selections on the menu were written suggested cocktails to accompany them, all of the overly-sweet variety, loaded with syrups.  We gave them a miss.

Steak of the Art Cardiff Review
A sneaky loo snap, to show you the blue glowing sinks and hoof prints on the floor, as well as my outfit!

Our bill came to £43, including a glass of house white wine and a diet coke too.  We agreed that our respective menfolk would have found the portions on the small side and not felt it was value for money.

As a novely I think this place will do well, and there were lots of families there on our Sunday daytime visit.  I'm not sure that I'd personally go back, as I feel there are places that offer much better value for money, especially on a hungry day.

This was an undercover visit - Steak of the Art didn't know I was doing a review, and I paid full price.

12 comments:

  1. Shame it wasn't really worth the price as those circle-shaped booths are so cool! But steak is something that if it's going to be done should be done right... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're picky about your steak and want it done perfectly then this is the place!

      Delete
  2. Those circle booths are fab and you look very colourful and trendy.
    A steak restaurant would be my worst nightmare, the smell of all that meat!
    Its funny how you Welsh are such carnivores, last time I went to Cardiff's Wetherspoons I was amazed that there was only a couple of veggie options on the menu. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, we're not all carnivores, and I was veggie for a good few years. Lots of vegetarian choices around Cardiff now, if you come again you have to go to the Vegetarian Food Studio, it's sort of Indian food as well so it's right up your street! xx

      Delete
  3. The interior is seriously cool - there's almost a Dali vibe going on. Shame indeed about the portion sizes leaving much to be desired though. That really can be make or break for a restaurant, especially if it has a lot of competition in the area.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, we are spoilt for choice with 2 great restaurants in spitting distance of this one!

      Delete
  4. I feel like in a place like that you're paying as much for the decor (which really is very nifty) as you are for the food. Sounds like a fun place, if not a regular dinner spot. Love your outfit snap, by the way - that top is freaking adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh that top is really, really old I just realised! Bought about 10 years ago from Miss Selfridge in the days I paid full price for clothes, eek!

      Delete
  5. The circular booths are fantastic, but it sounds rather like the decor is more impressive than the menu. I eat meat but never opt for steak when I'm out, there;s always something more interesting to choose! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny what we choose when eating out - I quite often go for steak as it's the one thing I fail to cook properly at home! I also eat low carb, so steak and salad is always a safe option x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm looks like it's worth a try but I don't think my partner would be full. He would want a huge side order to go with this. There seems to be a lot of new places opening in Cardiff with London prices, time will tell if they will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a crazy looking place! Looks like it was a lot of fun to check out even if it's not going to end up on your regular list ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...